Navratri is a time of celebration for the whole country. During these nine days, people fast and pray to Maa Durga for health and well-being of their loved ones. This nine days festival is succeeded by Dussehra or Vijaya Dashmi which is celebrated with grandeur. So if you have fasted these nine days, now it’s the right time to indulge in a feast.
Don’t skip exercise
To start your day, make sure you do not skip exercise even during the festive season. Take out some time and do running, practice yoga, work out at home, or hit the gym. Exercising will help you burn the extra calories you will be consuming.
Eat before leaving home
If you are going to be a part of celebrations, make sure you have had a healthy breakfast. This will help you avoid all the fried and sugary food which you may have otherwise opted to eat. Have a healthy vegetable sandwich or have a fruit before you go out to the pandals.
If you too want to celebrate the victory of good over evil in a healthy manner, here are few delicious recipes you can prepare on this day and enjoy indulging in them with your family.
Prepare the famous South India Chitranna with brown rice. You can make the recipe even healthier by choosing coconut oil instead of sunflower oil and use more vegetables.
Ingredients: Brown rice, green chilies, water, coriander leaves, ginger, garlic, onion, salt, oil, vegetables, jeera.
- Take onions, green chilies, ginger, coriander leaves, garlic, and blend the mixture.
- Next, take a pan, add oil and heat it.
- Add salt, blended spice mixture and vegetables to the oil.
- Sauté for a few minutes.
- Add brown rice to the pan.
- Cover and cook for approximately 10 minutes.
- Paneer Kheer
Swap regular milk for low-fat milk and replace sugar with jaggery to make the kheer health friendly. Do not forget to add cardamom powder as it aids good fat metabolism.
Ingredients: Low fat paneer, low-fat milk, ghee, sugar, cardamom powder.
- Heat the milk until it boils.
- Leave it to cool for a few minutes.
- Add sugar or jaggery to milk along with cardamom powder.
- Add grated low-fat paneer to milk and mix well.
- Keep it in the refrigerator for about 1 hour.
- Serve chilled with cashews.
While you enjoy Dussehra with your family, make sure to stay healthy. You are what you eat, so take all the necessary steps to stay healthy and indulge in a well-balanced diet.
Team Nalini Wishes you and your family a very Happy Dussehra!!